4 Sisters Talk

Four Sisters, One Bond, Forever Intertwined
We are 4 sisters living life together near and far. We have created this blog to stay connected over the miles. Sharing what sisters talk about - life, love, kids, cute boys (little ones that is), recipes and more. Hoping to shine our light along the way.

September 17, 2014

Whole 30 - My Goals, Prep, Shopping & Filling the Fridge/Pantry

So we are heading into the Whole30. I have talked Whitney and Summer into being my partners in this journey. Whitney is on a quest to tackle her PCOS and Summer to tackle stomach issues, sleep issues, and hopeful for energy.

I read the book It Starts With Food which was very insightful and confirmed to me that 30 days of Paleo would be worth the results - more energy, better sleep, clearer thinking, hopefully a flatter stomach. For me most importantly was more stability with depression/anxiety symptoms and no stomachaches! Also the book talks about chronic inflammation. My shoulders and neck have been a big issue since Parker was born and I'm hoping maybe some of those symptoms will improve. The chapter on hormones in the book really sold me. From the moment I wake up groggy in the morning to the moment I try to go to sleep at night my day is dictated by sugar and carb cravings (even though I've been gluten free since April) and feelings of energy and blood sugar levels going up and down. I ALWAYS have a case of the afternoon grumps and HANGRY (angry hungry)  by the time it is time to start making dinner, even though I snack all afternoon, and usually have an afternoon headache. This makes between 3-6pm a rough time in our home which is also when kids are grumpy and hungry and Andrew is getting home from work. Book explains in a scientific way how hormones are affected by food and how this roller coaster happens.

So basic rules NO grains, NO legumes, NO dairy, NO sugar (which by the way is added to EVERYTHING - so have to read labels.) NO alcohol, and NO recreating things with approved ingredients (I'm going to cheat a little on this one). Whole30 Program Rules

To embark on the Whole30 Prep is possibly the hardest part - well at least the most time consuming. You need to:
  1. Meal Plan - I plan 2-3 breakfasts, 2-3 lunches, and then 4-5 dinners and then fill in with leftovers and "empty the fridge" meals
  2. Clean out the fridge and Pantry - seriously read every label sugar is in EVERYTHING
  3. Grocery Shop
I usually shop at Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Costco, and Target. Here are my favorite finds at these stores for Whole30.

Costco:
  • BACON - their low sodium bacon is the ONLY bacon I have found so found that has to added sugar and its very good. You get 4 packages for $14.99
  • Organic Baby Spinach - huge tub for $3.59**amazing deal (you can freeze for smoothies)
  • Organic Spring Mix Salad - huge tub for $3.79 **amazing deal
  • 2 dozen Organic Eggs - $6.99
  • Almond Butter large jar **great price for the size** $8.99
  • 5 large avocados $4.99
  • Coconut Flour
  • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Avocado Oil
  • Guacamole single size 


Trader Joe's:
  • Grinders - Garlic Salt, Everyday Seasoning, Lemon Pepper ...I use them everyday!
  • Pre-cooked boiled eggs - but not organic
  • canned coconut milk $.99
  • Bagged nuts
  • Pre-grilled chicken breasts (in fresh meat section)-great for lunches/salads or a throw together dinner 
  • Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage **LOVE
  • Applegate Hot Dogs
  • Organic Sweet Potatoes 
  • Grass-Fed Beef in freezer section
  • Grass-Fed Beef Burgers in freezer section 
  • Frozen Bagged Chicken - breasts or thighs
  • Clarified Butter (by oils only $3.99)
  • Crunch Salad - kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts 
  • Organic Chicken Broth -sugar free **some have sugar!!!!!
  • Sun Dried Tomatoes in jar
  • Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce - sugar free **all others had sugar
  • Chunky spicy Guacamole
  • Sandwhich pickles
  • Frozen fruit



Sprouts:
  • shredded coconut unsweetened (on their tables of pre packed stuff out of the bins)
  • Date Nut Coconut Rolls (on their tables of pre packed stuff out of the bins)
  • So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Unsweetened (I use in my coffee, also at Target)
  • we buy meats here - but they don't have sugar free bacon
  • Applegate deli meats and hot dogs available here
  • Coconut Aminos (replaces soy sauce)
  • Sausage - I found frozen pork sausage links with no sugar
  • I always look over their organic fruit and vegetable stands






No comments:

Post a Comment