4 Sisters Talk

Four Sisters, One Bond, Forever Intertwined
We are 4 sisters living life together near and far. We have created this blog to stay connected over the miles. Sharing what sisters talk about - life, love, kids, cute boys (little ones that is), recipes and more. Hoping to shine our light along the way.

September 6, 2013

Why I am an Education Major...

So, for my education class we had to reflect and write a paper on why we think we want to teach. It was supposed to be a 250-300 word paper but I didn't realize how passionate I was about teaching until the word count was 800. Sisters, this is why I want to be a teacher...

The reason I want to teach is a cliché answer: to make a difference. But this phrase is cliché because it’s constantly used due to the fact that it is a true reason why people want to serve others. I want to make a difference by serving in my everyday life. I believe that teachers, whether we admit it as students or not, have a strong influence in the way a student, at any age, views his or her education. A teacher can influence the impact of a child’s life either negatively or positive in the short time they have with them. I want to make a classroom a sanctuary for children who need to escape from their home or other outside factors. I want to change a student’s perspective on school and possibly encourage and inspire them to continue their education beyond high school. I want to make sure that every student who walks into my classroom knows that someone believes in them and will always be there to encourage them in any season of life. I want to see the change that happens in their life when they just get it, whether it be a problem or something they find in themselves. I want to shine light on their greatness and be a rock for them. I want to be heartbroken for my students and I want to learn from them as they learn from me.
The first time I knew I wanted to be a teacher was in jr. high when my language arts teacher, Mr. Kalin gave his students an outlet to express themselves in a positive way. He was our friend with the utmost respect by all. He believed in us because someone believed in him through his trials which lead to him becoming a teacher. As I entered into high school my goal was to work hard for scholarships so I could attend a good teachers’ college. My English teacher, who I had for my whole high school career, was the most blunt, compassionate, challenging and open teacher who cared enough to tell you what you didn’t want to hear but needed. He never sugar coated the hot topics and he shared his personal struggles to teach us that life was hard, unfair and beautiful in the same moment. I will forever be grateful for Mr. Vining and his everyday drive to make sure that his students were more than equipped for the bigger world. He wasn’t afraid to let us know that our small high school lives were miniscule in comparison to our entire existence. Now, Mrs. Dunham inspires my passion. She made U.S. history the most thrilling topic. She never skipped a beat and had the class hang on to her every word. She was phenomenal and was the most demanded teacher at Centennial High School. She was also someone I went to for advice and she genuinely cared about my struggles. If I am half as good as the teachers who inspired me, I will be satisfied.
I want to teach high school level English. I want to teach high school students because I feel as though my life was most impacted during that season of my life. I want to eventually go for my master’s degree and teach college level. I believe that these are crucial periods in life where I want to make an impact.

I experienced teachers who invested so much of their time into their students’ lives and I watched them make differences. I also had experiences with teachers who viewed teaching as strictly a job and not a way to positively influence younger generations. They simply put in their time and clocked out. They didn’t go the extra mile that is a requirement for an effective teacher. I know what kind of teacher I want to be and I want to invest everything I have into my students and I will be constantly reminded by who inspired me. I am a person who takes on other people’s burdens and will make it my personal goal to help them through his or her trials. I know that my work will follow me home and that I will dedicate as much as my time to help my students fulfill their potential that maybe they don’t see. I want to see the good in people, always, and more students need their elders to point out the good in them. I hope to be that light. I want to fight for younger generations and my passion will fuel me. I am addicted already to the thrill of knowing that I may impact just one life and the heartache that may come with it will be worthwhile.

Love,

Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment